Thursday, December 15, 2011

What is a better card to get for travelling round Europe, a credit card or a debit card?

I'm going round Europe from May to July this year with a friend and we were wondering what would be the better way to finance ourselves as we travel round, a credit card or a debit card?





Also, what would be the best credit / debit card to get when we do so?





Thanks.|||Both work just fine. I take both when I go. However, I use a visa prepaid travel card. I get that from my credit union. I would be willing to bet most banks have them now instead of Travelers Checks. Hope you enjoy your trip. Have a nice day!|||As usual, the answer is a bit complicated. First, when you use a card (either credit or debit) you get the best possible exchange rate. Otherwise you end up giving a hefty percentage to a currency exchange. ATM's work just fine (and are safe) for getting fast cash. That makes it easy to get the local currency when you need it. However, a debit card is much more susceptible to fraud. If you get ripped off, especially overseas, don't expect your bank to bail you out. Credit cards are much safer for that reason. What I do is take my debit card and only use it at an ATM. I use my credit card for all other purchases. That way it is both safe and convenient. I hope this helps! Dr. Jon|||Debit, hands down. the bank will automatically calculate the difference in transaction rates. (and I'd say go VISA for a Debit/Check Card... it's everywhere you want to be... man that's corny)





When it comes to credit cards, try not to use them. in todays day and age your goal should be to pay them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment