Monday, December 12, 2011

What is the best credit card to use to get travel rewards?

I want to switch to a credit card that allows me to earn travel rewards (i.e. skymiles) on everyday purchases. I fly Continental about 98% of the time. What do you think would be the best credit card for me?|||Do something most people never take the time to do...do the math. I prefer to use a cash back credit card even though I travel frequently. I get 5% back on gas %26amp; groceries and 1% on everything else. Think of it this way. If I spend $25,000 a year (yikes) I can get 25,000 miles on most airline cards which is normally what it takes to get a ticket. But if I spend that same $25,000 on my cash back card, some of which is on gas and groceries, that can easily turn into $300 cash or more...that's usually plenty enough to by the same ticket but now with more flexibilty (no blackout dates etc.) Evaluate your own situation based on what you spend the most on, so if you get double points for certain purchases that you make a lot of than one card will probably prove to be much better than another. I simply prefer havin cash so I don't have to be at the mercy of one airline that can raise the # of points required for tickets, go bankrupt, or may not have any flights available forcing me to choose another airline which I don't have points for. Good luck!|||American Express in conjunction with Continental.|||I agree with CSUflyer's advice to do the math and pick the card that will pay you the most rewards (whether in cash or airline miles). However, there is a free rewards calculator tool that will do the math for you! Check it out at http://www.creditcardtuneup.com/ .





It'll also calculate the best combinations of cards for your spending profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment