Saturday, December 17, 2011

Which credit card is best for a 19 year old college student trying to build credit?

I am deciding right now between the following two cards


Chase +1 SM Student MasterCard庐


Citi庐 mtvU鈩?Platinum Select庐 Visa庐 Card





I am hoping to just build a litte bit of credit while I have a part time work-study job at my school and don't know which of these cards I should apply for. Also will it be easy to get approved for one of these with no credit?|||The Citi mtvU card has a better rewards structure.


Why not try for both?


Visit the website below and look in the Credit Pulls database for your state to see which credit reporting agency Citi pulls.


Chase is almost always Experian.|||It is usually best to try to go for the type of credit card your bank offers because you already have a history and relationship with them. If you have a savings account you use meaning you put more money in it than withdraw and maybe some investments like stocks this will be good as well and it will help you more easily get approved. I would also advise getting nothing higher than a $500 limit to start you are a student after all you don't want to put yourself into debt. Another thing that will be good to do once you get your card is always pay it off in full before the payment is due not only will this look good on your credit you will also never have to pay any interest if it is paid off in full. Also remember never pay just the minimum payment you will be no farther ahead next month. The card I would recommend for you is the TD Rebate reward Visa mainly because with this card you get back up to 1% of what you spend at the end of every year so there is some incentive for using the card and also the fact that there is absolutely no annual fee. This is the credit card I have and I am a student and I love this card. TD also has a credit card selector tool which you can use to help you pick the card that is right for you. Hope this helps :)|||If I had to choose between just those two, I'd go with the Citi mtvU card. (I wish I could get it, but I'm not a student.) The Citi mtvU card is the only card available that offers 5% rewards at restaurants, books stores, movie theaters, and video rental stores.





By the way, there are other good student rewards cards depending on your spending profile (categories you spend on). You can use this rewards calculator to see which of several student rewards cards will pay you the most in rewards for your entered spending profile:


http://www.creditcardtuneup.com/?card_ty鈥?/a>





While I agree with others' replies that credit cards can be dangerous, if used with discipline, credit cards can be a good thing for you. The best way to use credit cards is:





1. Find the best rewards card(s) for your normal spending (e.g. using a calculator like the one I linked to above)


2. Funnel most/all of your normal spending through your rewards card(s) without max'ing them out


3. Always pay your monthly balance in full and on time





That way you:


1. Build your credit quickly


2. Avoid any interest/fees


3. Earn great rewards on the money you were going to spend anyway (as cash)





If you're a disciplined person, that's definitely the way to go.|||I have one through my bank, Bank Of America. Its a student credit card. They told me I should get it to help build credit and they're pretty good about interest since its a student card. If you're choosing between those two I would say the Student Mastercard since its for students it will be easy to get approved since you don't have credit yet.|||May I be totally honest with you?


It is a bad idea to get a credit card to "build" your credit, and totally unnecessary. Don't do it, my young friend. We are brainwashed into thinking we need credit cards; in most cases we do not. Just because everyone does something doesn't make it right. I am a financially successful person who cut up his credit cards a long time ago. I can still rent cars, purchase things online, and book hotel rooms without them.


Here's my advice: Read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. This book will set you free from the North American debt myths that plague our society.


Remember, all debt except mortgage debt is EVIL.|||Discover Card|||None. You don't need them. Take a personal loan before you get one. There nothing but trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment